Wind power forecasts have been used operatively for over 20 years. Despite this fact, there are still several possibilities to improve the forecasts, both from the weather prediction side and from the usage of the forecasts. The new International Energy Agency (IEA) Task on Forecasting for Wind Energy tries to organize international collaboration, among national weather centers with an interest and/or large projects on wind forecast improvements (NOAA, DWD, …), operational forecasters, and forecast users.
The Task is divided into three work packages: Firstly, a collaboration on the improvement of the scientific basis for the wind predictions themselves. This includes numerical weather prediction model physics, but also widely distributed information on accessible datasets. Secondly, we will be aiming at an international pre-standard (an IEA Recommended Practice) on benchmarking and comparing wind power forecasts, including probabilistic forecasts. This WP will also organize benchmarks, in cooperation with the IEA Task WakeBench. Thirdly, we will be engaging end users aiming at the dissemination of the best practice in the usage of wind power predictions.
Visit the IEA Wind Task 36 YouTube Channel
The Task members identified several issues which might be useful in an information portal for wind power forecasting. As Task 36 has come to an end, those links below go to the relevant pages of IEA Wind Task 51, the successor of Task 36.
- A list of meteorology masts with online data over 100m height, useful for verification of wind speed predictions
- A list of meteorological experiments going on currently or recently, either to participate or to verify a flow model against
- A list of publicly available wind power forecasting benchmarks, to test your model against
- A list of current or finished research projects in the field of wind power forecasting
- A list of future research issues
- A list of open weather data
For all of those, we would be happy to accept input, so head over to the site and see where you can help, or what you can use!
Please find the full text of the second phase of Task 36 description here.
Any Question at
+45 93 51 15 11
DTU Wind Energy
DTU Risø Campus
Monday to Friday
9 am – 17 pm Central European Time
Send your mail at